Tuesday, January 16, 2018

On Wisconsin

The prior post, entitled 1967,  mentioned the selection of the JV and varsity basketball teams in the first year of operation of the new BHS in 1967.  One of the key members of our JV squad that year was Steve Odegaard.   

I did not  even know of Steve until we were in Jr. Hi.  In elementary school, Franny Dolan would frequently mention him in gym class because he could do numerous pull-ups/chin-ups.  Since we were placed in the same homeroom as 7th graders, we were in the same classes all day.  A similar situation occurred in 8th grade.  In 9th grade, we only had a few classes together, but by then we had gotten to know each other rather well. 

Since we were now the elder statesmen of the Jr. Hi,  we could run for Student Body President.  Each homeroom was allowed to select one candidate to run.  Homerooms were assigned alphabetically.  Mysteriously, my homeroom selected me.  During the frenetic week before we had to make our speeches in front of the entire student body in the Central gym, we spent much time at Steve's house on Wisconsin Street in preparation for the big event.  In addition to Steve, Stan Skubic and perhaps Kenny Beckman assisted. 

After we had all given our speeches, it took a few hours to tally the votes.  I seem to recall "Lefty" Johnson knocking on Mrs. Wheeler's door to ask me, Kevin O'Connell, and Tom Bozied to step into the hallway to learn the results.  At best, my tally was four votes, about what I expected.  Kevin won the presidency, while Tom was vice-president. 

During our secondary school years, much time was spent at the Odegaard house.  Steve's mother was an exceptionally talented and accomplished artist.  It seems to me that she was able to transform a black-and-white picture into a magnificent colored one. 

There was also a ping-pong table in the basement.  Steve was quite talented, and had no trouble putting me away. 

In the summer of 1968, Steve and Tom Bozied purchased the driving range, just to the south of the drive-in.  Stew Linn and I spent much time out there that summer.  Although I had a summer job, my afternoons were usually free, so I could hit a few golf balls if business was somewhat slow. 

Steve's dad was also a wonderful person.  He had numerous clean jokes that made us all laugh. 

His younger brother Joe was ten years younger than we were, and was a 7th grader my first year of teaching.  Lee Colburn also had a brother (Jon) in that class, while Susan Redmond had a sister (Teresa) in that same class. 

Steve's wife informed me today that Steve's mother passed away on Sunday, Jan. 14.  http://www.osheimschmidt.com/m/?p=memorial&id=2060028   The Register also had a short obituary https://www.brookingsregister.com/article/shirley-odegaard-rapid-city

Our thoughts and prayers are with Steve, his wife Mary, and the others in the family at this sad time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment