Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mike Kohl's Mother Passes Away



Our thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to Mike Kohl on the recent passing of his mother.  The complete obituary can be found at http://www.albertleatribune.com/2012/03/25/sylvia-kohl-90-albert-lea/  If memory serves me right, Mike was one of the numerous bright people in our class .  My yearbooks are not handy, but I seem to recall him in Latin with Miss Briscoe our freshman year.  Was he also in German I with Fraulein Huwe our sophomore year?   I also believe he was involved in debate and declam.  Wasn't our debate team our senior year quite talented, in part due to Mike's efforts?   Didn't Dan Scanlan also live with the Kohls around our sophomore year?  Dan was quite a talented athlete.  He was a fine football player, as I recall.  I believe he played basketball, and I know he ran track.  I thought they lived near Lincoln Lane and Elmwood.  Jim Kessler lived nearby on Lincoln Lane.  I would often ride my bike up to his house, and then we would go over to Hillcrest to shoot baskets. 

If you remember Miss Briscoe, she was quite serious all the time.  Do you recall how she would pass her red pencils out when we had to correct our papers?  One time in Latin class, she scolded us for writing some smart-aleck answer on a test when we didn't have any idea what the correct answer was.   She had asked a question like "Why did so-and-so become a shepherd?"  One student, who shall remain nameless, replied "Because business was bad in the coal mines."  She didn't like that answer very well. 

My school year is coming to a close.  Perhaps in the summer I can spend more time posting, but I could use some help.  If you have any ideas, stories, or news items that should be on here, do not hesitate to let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment