Thursday, July 23, 2009

Should we remove this blog?

Received this email the other day:

"I poked around some in GOOGLE, and believe that setting up a "group" may be a more satisfactory approach. It will let all members contribute and post files. It requires setting up a google account, with the obligatory acceptance of "terms of service" and "privacy policy".I went through the steps to do this, creating a group named "BSHS 69", and limited access to those I invite. My intention is to invite only classmates."

When this new site is up and running, it would seem that this present blog would be unnecessary. The only way that most of you can contribute is through the comments. This new site will allow anyone to post items at any time. Sounds like a much better site to me. Any thoughts on the matter? I will not be offended if you want to drop this blog.

1 comment:

  1. By now, you probably know that I'm guilty of the post mentioned above. The group page is there now, and invitations have gone out.

    As of this morning, there were five members and two other classmates had asked about it.

    The function is different from a blog. Posting to discussions is only one facet, and those posts can be set to go to the whole group via the email addresses (they needn't be gmail) used to sign up. That may (optimist here) become overwhelming at some point, and I believe each post comes with the option of "unsubscribing". I don't know whether exercising that option bars you from the group site.

    It is also possible to post pictures, documents, videos, etc. and to create/shape subpages on the site. As a test, I posted a group picture with the suggestion that we evolve a caption identifying the people in it.

    I took some creative license in naming the group, by the way. I recall from high school that "Brookings Senior High School" generated amusement in an acronym.

    Beatty

    ReplyDelete