Thursday, February 13, 2014

Carla's Community Career Concludes

The Feb. 12, 2104 edition of The Brookings Register featured a story highlighting the long career of Carla DeBeer, who was employed at the Brookings Health System (ironically often abbreviated as BHS in the media) for the past 44 years. 

Carla is originally from White.  In 1966, her family moved south of Brookings , where she attended high school.  She moved into town in 1975. 

Carla began working at the hospital in 1969, expecting to stay only a few years before moving on.  She truly loved her employment, as those few years stretched into 44.  Her first 6 1/2 were spent in the dietary department.  She then transferred into the business office and the materials department.  More time was spent in the business office, which was her favorite.  "I keyed in charges, did payments, and I did the general ledger.  I like to work with numbers," she noted.  She also covered the reception room of the ER on occasion.  

Carla has seen first-hand the changes that have occurred at the hospital.  In 1989,  extensive renovations and expansion began.  As she noted, "I watched it grow.  The building has changed.  The circles have always been the same upstairs.  The cafeteria has changed.  I remember exactly where the ER used to be; it was just two, tiny, small rooms." 

She has worked for 10 administrators.  Not only does she have fond memories of  them, but she also is thankful for all of her co-workers.  "I'm going to miss the people.  I got to be friends with a lot of them.  Back where I worked now, I did the ordering and everybody relied on me to do that.  I was there and people knew that when they came to me with something they needed, I could find it and get it ordered."

Carla knew what her priorities were.  "Patients are number one.   I always made sure that we had the supplies that were needed for the patients, so the nurses could take care of their patients.  Even when I worked back in dietary, years ago, you always made sure that the food was good and everybody got fed well; the employees got fed just as well as all the patients did." 

She knows well of what she speaks, as Carla, too, has experienced life as a patient.   In fact, she expects to return in a few months.  "I had a total knee replacement three months ago.  I was going to wait until fall to get the other one done, but I'm going to get it done sooner than that.  The doctors and I have talked, and hopefully May or June, I will get the other one done." 

What are Carla's plans for retirement?  She has no definite plans, but her humanitarian spirit is evident, as  volunteer work is a strong possibility.  A part-time job is also foreseeable.  If her knees were in better shape, she would probably travel.  After her upcoming surgery, that just may happen. 

Congratulations to Carla DeBeer and her contributions to the Brookings Health System.  You have improved the lives of many people in this area, and have set a wonderful example for others to follow.  Your classmates, the Brookings High School class of 1969, are very happy for you.  Best wishes in your retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment