Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's been quite a while since I checked in on this blog. Recent efforts to connect with people from the area brought me back, it seems.
I see that some folks have noticed the '67 Bobcat online. There are some pages missing from that one, including what were, in the original, pages 96 and 97, though I think they would have been between 93 and 94 of the online version. These are the first two pages of pictures of the junior class, and include both my brother Rob Dimit and Dave Adamson, both of whom became relevant in my communications.

Both of them were members of a band called the Military Pickle, along with Georgia Wright's older brother Jim, David Bugg, and John Behrend. Eric Lagerstrom, who moved to town in '66 or so, was also in that band. He came around to the high school and gave a performance or two of flamenco guitar and, as I recall, my brother corrupted him and got him to play rock and roll. Eric taught most of the good guitar players to come out of Brookings during the next few years and, I recently learned, had also been teaching drums and some keyboards. I've heard that Stan Lorenz was one of his drum students.

Anyway, John Behrend is looking for pictures of the Pickle and/or its various members. To put all our begs in one ask-it, we would also appreciate any pictures of:

The Outsiders (John, Jim Wright, Dave Adamson, and a pair of Bortnem twins--a band later re-named Specter when a nationally known band used the other name):

The Last Rites (Rob Dimit, Dave Bugg, John Richards, Jim May, and Steve Miller--the one from our class);

The Strangers (don't remember all members there, but Doug Lund, Gordon Johnson, Curt Lee and I were among them);

Touch (Hal Marken, Gordon Johnson, Stan Lorenz, Susie Whipple, Dave somebody from SDSU playing sax, and I);

Fresh Grass (Bob Kenny, Gordon Johnson, Rick Lundquist, Mark Denton, and I--later exchanging Mark for Doug Lund);

The (early) Ride (Fresh Grass simply changed our name a bit after Doug joined, and several months later Bill Williams replaced me);

The (later) Ride (many different configurations existed, and pictures from the time when Jim Wright was doing his "Singing Light Man" routine or after he took up drumming duties would be most appreciated)

Cocoon (some configuration of Lyle Behrend, Tom Burchill, Mike Barnes, Tom Barnes, Jay Flora, and Eric Adams--all Brookings folk several years younger than we. There was another band with many of the same members, but the name eludes me as I type.);

The Harvey Wallbanger Big Time Show Band (a house band at the Last Step ~1971 comprising at one point John Behrend, Stan Lorenz, "Jake" Jacobsen, David Law, Larry Gruseth and I but also including Hal Marken at some time);

Little Henry (Al Leiffort, Steve Ahles, Al Remund, Tom Villa, Bruce Kelly and I for a time, later including John Behrend and, briefly, Brian Gallagher who played trumpet for a time before his appendix burst and killed him--there were other members later as well, but these are the configurations we would be most interested in).

We would, of course, be pleasantly astonished if anyone has recordings of these groups and is willing to share.

If anyone has pictures of Eric Lagerstrom's teaching time/place, that might be nice as well. I never took lessons from him so don't really have any idea of what his setup might have been.

If you aren't in direct communication with John, you can contact me at bedlamm@hotmail.com if you have relevant stuff. Actually, you probably can whether you do have or not, but I don't know why you would want to.

Beatty (Ed) Dimt

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear someone else posting. Any others out there who have something that all of us should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete