Thursday, July 29, 2010

Former Superintendent Passes Away



Our thoughts, condolences, and prayers go out to the family of Bruce Crosswait, who passed away recently. He became superintendent for the Brookings school district in 1966, succeeding Mr. Horrigan, who had been in Brookings many years as a teacher, principal, and superintendent. The funeral arangements have been made by Kirk Funeral Home in Rapid City. The manager and one of the owners is Ken Kirk, a BHS graduate of 1971. He also had an older sister Kathy, who graduated in 1968.

I became acquainted with Dr. Crosswait when I began teaching at the Brookings Middle School in 1973. His son Mark was in the seventh grade and played on the basketball team that I was coaching. I was promoted to eighth grade basketball coach next year, so I had essentially the same boys again. I was reassigned to the ninth grade coaching spot the following season, thus having the good fortune of teaching the same boys three years in a row. That class graduated in 19979. When they had their class reeunion last summer, they invited a number of their former high school teachers (Mr. Tlustos, Mr. Jostad, Mrs. Fiedler, Mr. Gibbons, Mr. Walder, Mrs. Gerberding {she was our student teacher for sophomore English; Joan Donaldson, Nancy Webbenhurst's sister, was one of the sophomore English teachers}). I was honored that they included me in that elite group.

Thanks to Nancy Webbenhurst for informing me of his passing. Her father, as the business manager for many years at the school, worked very closely with Dr. Crosswait.

No comments:

Post a Comment