Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Storms

As many of you may be aware, South Dakota has been hit with a Christmas blizzard. Some reports said it was the worst one since Christmas of 1968, which would have been our senior year. Do you any of you remember those days? That was a stormy winter. The snow banks were so high that you could not see the approaching cars, so people tied red flags on their car antennas so that other drivers could see them at street corners.
If memory serves me correctly, we played Mitchell in basketball during that time (must have been right before Christmas). Joe Jensen , I believe, lived at Lake Campbell. He could not make it in for any practices, but did make it in for Friday night's game. Mr. Thury told me on Tuesday that I would get to start (the first time that had ever happened), and that all I had to do was to just play defense on a certain player (Dennis DeJong)and keep him from scoring a bunch of points. I was able to do that for the first two quarters, but we only had a slim lead at half-time. Mr. Thury reverted to the regular starters for the second half, and we won somewhat comfortably, as I did not play the second half. DeJong only had four points, two in each half, which was considerably below his average. I can honestly say that I worked very hard on defense in the first half, but in the second half, I think Lee Colburn and perhaps Mike Redmond also worked harder than usual and also shut the DeJong down. We ended up winning by about 15 or so, making the coaching staff quite happy.
When the snow finally melted in the spring, the Big Sioux River flooded, of course, creating a lake from Brookings to Volga and closing many of the county roads. Anybody else have any memories of that winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment